About Nelson Bay
Located two and half hour’s drive north of Sydney and just 25 minutes from Newcastle Airport, Nelson Bay is a beautiful coastal town within easy reach.
Situated on the southern coastline of Port Stephens, Nelson Bay offers a range of activities and also provides the perfect base to explore the greater North Coast area.
Spend your days perusing the many shops on offer and stop into any one of the numerous cafes and restaurants which are dotted around the streets of Nelson Bay which serve a wide variety of cuisine sure to please even the toughest critics.
For a little adventure, Nelson Bay offers many activities on the waterways with a variety of cruises available or try your hand at some deep sea fishing or jump on a cruise for dolphin and whale watching.
Located on Australia’s east coast Nelson Bay provides one of the best vantage points to watch Humpback Wales on their trip up north with more than 3000 of the majestic creatures passing through the waters of Port Stephens every year.
Exploring this beautiful region by land is made easy with many paths and walkways meandering along the coastline or take a tour to the Hunter Valley to experience some of the best wines in Australia.
Things to do in Port Stephens
- Broughton Island - Scuba diving and snorkeling
- Worimi Conservation Lands - Quad biking
- Whale watching and swimming with dolphins
- Parasailing over Nelson Bay
- Shoal Bay and Tomaree Headland
- Sunset kayak with dolphins at Nelson Bay and Soldiers Point
- Camel riding
- Horse riding
- Toboggan Hill Park;
- Dizzy Land theme park; and
- Oak Vale Farm flora and fauna world
Port Stephens events not to miss
- Local Markets - 2nd Sunday and 3rd Saturday of the month
- Stand Up Paddle Board Festival – May
- Country Music Festival – June
- Sculpture Festival – July
- Golf Tournament – August
- Food Wine & Jazz Festival – November